"In the beginning"

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily the views of the blog management, (on the other hand, they are not necessarily not the views of the blog management).

No effort has been made to stay within the bounds of the truth in this blog as it has always been the view of the management that the truth should never be allowed to stand in the way of a good story.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

The rain it's plain, is hard to explain.

During the 1999 flood there was another 10 meters (32 feet) of water
over this bridge.



There is about 12 meters of flood water there now and this seems likely to be
the maximum, (the 1999 flood peaked at 22 meters)
Meanwhile the Muster limps on, the 8000 people who were already at the site were still quite happy to be there, arrangements to transport the artists into the site are in hand and its hoped the road will reopen to allow more people to attend the final day Sunday, but for the first time in its 26 year history there will not be a new attendance record set this year.

THE ITALIAN GOLFER.

An 80-year old Italian man goes to the doctor for a check-up.

The doctor is amazed at what good shape the guy is in and asks,
"How do you stay in such great physical condition?"

I'm Italian and I am a golfer," says the old guy," and that's why I'm in
such good shape." I'm up well before daylight and out golfing up and down
the fairways." "Have a glass of vino, and all is well."

"Well," says the doctor, "I'm sure that helps, but there's got to be more
to it. How old was your Dad when he died?"

"Who said my Dad's dead?"

The doctor is amazed. "You mean you're 80 years old and your Dad's still
alive. How old is he?"

He's 100 years old," says the old Italian golfer. "In fact he golfed with
me this morning, and then we went to the topless beach for a walk, that's
why he's still alive ... he's Italian and he's a golfer too."

Well," the doctor says, "that's great, but I'm sure there's more to it
than that. How about your Dad's Dad? How old was he when he died?"

"Who said my grandpa's dead?"

Stunned, the doctor asks, "You mean you're 80 years old and your
grandfather's still living! Incredible, how old is he?"

"He's 118 years old," says the old Italian golfer. the doctor is getting
frustrated at this point, "So, I guess he went golfing with you this
morning too?"

"No. Grandpa couldn't go this morning because he's getting married today."

At this point the doctor is close to losing it. "Getting married!! Why
would a 118 year-old guy want to get married?"

"Who said he wanted to?"

(I'll thank Sandy for that story.)


Any time you got nothing to do - and lots of time to do it -
come on up.

Mae West




7 comments:

Walker said...

LMAO!!!
I guess i bettter start golfing.

Thats alot of water to reach that high but I suppose when mother nature needs to have a good cry she can really pour it on.

Have a nice weekend

Puss-in-Boots said...

The Aussie stoicism is something, isn't it? What's a bit of a flood compared with a good time and a few beers! I don't think the organisers are particularly worried that much...everyone was just glad to see the rain.

They've had a reasonable amount in FNQ over the last few months, too. Hopefully mangoes will be cheaper when they come onto the market in a few weeks.

Glad you seem to have stayed dry.

Merle said...

Hi Peter ~~ I am glad you live on a hill !! Sure was a lot of rain up there, now it should be our turn.
Glad it doesn't seem to have affected the Muster too much. I like the Mudster term. Stay well and dry.
Cheers, Merle.

Lee said...

I had to be ferried across the river to work one day, Peter when I was cooking at Gunabul. It was great fun and I was really disappointed that the water had dropped when I finished up for the day, thereby not being able to boat it back across again!

We used to love when it flooded when I was a kid. Great excitement. Madills in Monkland Street, never failed to go under a couple of times a year! Still does when it comes up high! I hear that dear old Tommy Madill died a couple of months ago. He was a fine gentleman. He and his wife regularly dined on a Friday night at Gunabul. He knew my mother way back when. He was a lovely fellow.

Cliff said...

Sorry to hear of the flooding but it did seperate the true music fans from the pretenders. The true fans must have boats.
The story was good.
An invitation for you is up on my blog. I fear if you want to look at turning leaves... you'll need to turn them yourself.

LZ Blogger said...

Peter ~ Hard to believe that the water could actually ever get that high, but nature is a VERY strong force. I try not to mess around with it! ~ jb///
P.S. I'll go check out Wazza's video too! THX!

Jamie Dawn said...

So much water!! We have been dry as a bone and very hot lately. We could really use the rain.
Well, it's not dry, actually, because there is quite a bit of humidity, but the creek near our house is nearly dry. I'm tempted to do a rain dance!!

118 years old and HAVING to get married.
Mae West would REALLY like that old fellow!