"In the beginning"

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily the views of the blog management, (on the other hand, they are not necessarily not the views of the blog management).

No effort has been made to stay within the bounds of the truth in this blog as it has always been the view of the management that the truth should never be allowed to stand in the way of a good story.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Fun Monday Mar 24





Host for Easter Mondays “Fun Monday” is Swampy @

http://anecdotes.typepad.com/

Here’s da rules.

FUN MONDAY: ABC's


Back in my school teaching days, I used the A-B-C technique of making connections and remembering things. For instance, if we had studied Ireland, one assignment would be to list all 26 letters of the alphabet down the page and add words and/or phrases remembered about that unit of study:

IRELAND:
A - Antrim (County of)...
B- Blarney Stone, Belfast...
C - Cork, connacht, crystal...
D - Dublin...

Another use for this techinque is to record a family vacation...list PLACES (restaurants-monuments-hotels), PEOPLE (those on the trip-others you met), ANECDOTES, anything that had to do with the trip. Kids love to keep an on-going "journal" this way because they don't get bogged down with complete sentences, correct grammar, punctuation, etc. Plus, it's a handy-dandy way to document the trip for future references.

TRIP TO AUSTRALIA:
A - Australian Open, aborigines, Aussie, aerial pingpong...
B - beer (Toohey's Old), Brisbane, barbie, billabong, bloke, bluey...
C - crocodiles, chewie, chokkie...
D - "Don't drop cell phone into Yellow River...", didgeridoo, dingo...

With that in mind, here's the Fun Monday Challenge for March 24:

Choose a topic/theme and make an alphabetical list of words, phrases, photos...however you want to share your topic/theme.

Topics can range from pet-peeves, vacations, people who have influenced your life, jokes, favorites, philosopher's quotes/sayings, birds, flowers...anything. The sky is the limit. Your ABC list can be depicted with words, photos, illustrations... You are limited only by your imagination. Be funny. Be serious. Be creative. Be sarcastic. Be there, or be square.

*************************************************************

I very nearly didn’t sign up for Fun Monday this week as I got some shattering news on Wed March 19. my only daughter, the apple of my eye, has been diagnosed to have a brain tumor, once again my world has spun off its axis and I feel shattered, Vicki is only 47, she is the mother of three of my grand-children and is herself grand-ma to my two great grand-sons, she and son in law Rex are grain farmers in SA.

This is a very biased opinion I know but she deserves much better than this…. The medico’s are quietly confident that the tumor will be benign, we pray that they are right but regardless of that there is some very delicate brain surgery involved.

As I said I was inclined not to sign up for Fun Monday this week, but then I thought it perhaps offered a good chance to explain a pending absence, surgery will be scheduled for early April so I will be absent for whatever period of time it might take to see Vicki back on the road to health.

These are my ABC thoughts at the minute

A – anguish, anger,

B – beautiful daughter,

C – can’t believe this is happening.

D – darling daughter, doctors,

E – exasperation,

F – favourite (only) daughter,

G – going to be with her, get well my sweet daughter,

H – hospital, hate them,

I – I am shattered,

K – kind and loving heart,

L – love,

M – my little girl… deserves better,

N – not fair, neurosurgeon,

O – operation,

P – prayers for my darling daughter, panic,

Q – questions without answers,

R – risk,

S – surgery,

T – tumor… fuck it!!!

U – unable to think clearly,

V – Vicki,

W – we love you,

X – xray… hope they are right,

Y – you are my life Vicki,

Z – This is not the end.


Vicki in happier times.


I would like to take this opportunity to say a very sincere thank you to all
who have sent messages of sympathy, love and hope for Vicki's future health,
they are very much appreciated and I will make sure that Vicki is aware of
all the love that has been so evident in them.

45 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Much love coming to your Vicki...and you on this Easter morning. Love and faith can do a lot of amazing things Peter....

Walker said...

I will be keeping her and you in my thoughts.

kenju said...

Peter, I am praying for you both and hoping that she will be well soon.Take care.

Pamela said...

letter P:

Peace, Prayer, Promise!

Pamela

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter,
Please know that my thoughts are with you and Vicki. I am glad you took the time to 'express' yourself with the ABC challenge this week. Hopefully, you gained some peace within that will get you and your precious daughter through this.
I don't know if you were reading my blog last November, but my cousin was diagnosed with a brain tumor that was the size of a softball. Nekked Lizard Man, her brother, and I drove to Oklahoma to be with her for the surgery. She is doing well and recovering nicely. I tell you this because there are so many successful endings to these stories.
You did a wonderful job with your ABC list and I hope it gave you an outlet for your emotions. Please keep up informed about Vicki, as I know your entire Blogging Community of Friends will be here with you.
Sincerely,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

That was supposed to say, "Please keep us informed...
but, as you know, I don't spell too well.

karisma said...

Sending healing thoughts and love Vicki's way, and yours!

P - Positive thoughts

hugs xxx

Celeste said...

I do hope that all goes well with Vicki's procedure. Know that there are positive thoughts beaming towards her from my part of the world.

Peace.

willowtree said...

Geez Pete, I'm sorry to hear about Vicki. I hope it all gets fixed up soon. My thoughts are with you.

Big Dave T said...

Besides passing along wishes for a speedy recovery for Vicki (medicine really can almost perform miracles with such maladies now), I wanted to stop by to wish you a happy Easter.

On the long drive from Michigan to Florida, my wife and I played our own version of the ABC game. The topic was "things associated with aging." Can't remember many, let's see: A-Alzheimer's, B-Bedridden, C-Cut out of the will . . . didn't turn out to be such a happy topic.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad, & all your wonderful Blogging friends,
Your support and prayers for me and for Dad are appreciated more than you will ever know. I am overwhelmed by it and just want to say THANKYOU - I DO NOT intend to let this little nasty beat me, I have too much to live for - (if I didn't know it before, I do now, with the response from such lovely people all over the world).
We are shearing this week, so won't have time to wallow too much, then back to Adelaide to more tests before a program of treatment is worked out.
My wonderful husband, Rex is stressing fairly well, and on top of his already over-full workload, he didn't need this, so a prayer for him would also be appreciated. He's been researching madly, even watched an operation via the internet (a bit goulish for some but he's fascinated by all things medical - hence his name being Donald Rex is signed Dr Foster!!!)
Thanks again, and I'll be fighting this just as hard as I can.
Take care all,
Much Love
Vicki

ChrisB said...

Peter so sorry to hear about your daughter. You will all in my thought and prayers over these coming weeks.

Anonymous said...

Peter, I too am shattered to hear about Vicki. Of course positive thinking is the way to go. I shall be sending many healing thoughts to you and to Vicki and Rex and all the rest of the family who will also be feeling shattered. My love to you all. Lyle

Molly said...

Peter, I am sorry to read the news about your beautiful daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care.

Cliff said...

Vicki, Our prayers and best wishes are sent your way and get back to happy days again. This will too shall pass.

Junebug said...

Peter, my prayers will be for you and your daughter especially during this battle. With God, nothing is impossible. I truly believe that. You remember my nephew who had almost drowned and is now home and well. God answers prayers! Their will be prayer all over the world for your daughter.

Alison said...

Peter..I am truly sorry to hear of this. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Vickie and your family. I hope the surgery goes well...it is amazing what can be accomplished now.

Please keep us posted...
Alison

Faye said...

Ah Peter--this sucks. Sending you and your family every good intention in these next few weeks while you learn exactly what you're fighting. Vicki is lucky to have such a good dad on her side.

Gattina said...

I am terribly sorry for you ! Your daughter is so young to get such an awful desease ! I hope that everthing goes well and wish you a lot of courage to go through this !

Granny said...

I'll be checking back with you; meantime, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your daughter, and your family.

Much love,

Ann

Sayre said...

Hugs for you and Vicki, Peter. And my sincere prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Your ABC was quite expressive. I'm impressed that you went ahead and did it, and you did it SO well. Take care my friend.

wazza said...

Gidday Peter,

There's no real need for me to offer my thoughts here for a speedy and healthy recovery to Vicki as I am spending the Easter period with you here in downtown Gympie, but you know that my thoughts are with you, Vicki, Rex and family.
You are only too aware that if there is anything I can do to help or assist you, all you need to do is ask.
Vicki I'm sure your time is not up yet and that you will be up and shearing the sheep in no time at all. All my best wishes and love.

kitten said...

Peter, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. I agree with Pamela and I will most definitely keep you and yours in my prayers!
Your daughter looks beautiful and stronged willed. That strong will will go a long way.
Here's wishibg the best!

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter and Vicki,
I'm back just to check on you. So glad to see a note from Vicki and to "hear" the determination in her voice.
And, yes of course, you may call me Kathy !

Anonymous said...

Yikes Peter I am so sorry to hear about Vicki. I am praying for her and you right now....

Jack K. said...

Peter, amidst all of this pain and anguish, you are blessed. There is no doubt that Vicki will stay on top of this thing and overcome. She does have some important missions to perform and will get them all done beautifully.

I appreciated her comment above. That's what prompted me to make a comment here.

Get some rest so that you will continue to be in top form to provide the support she and the rest of the family need from dear, old Dad.

Beckie said...

Peter,

That is some stinky news. My thoughts are with you, Vicki, Rex and the rest of your family. Think positively.

Kaytabug said...

Oh Peter I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and love go out to you and Vikki and your entire family.
What a moving post...
HUGS!!!

Unknown said...

This is not the end. Your words made me think of the turmoil my parents must have went through when I told them I had cancer - I am an only child too.

I will be sending good vibes to your family. I hope you hear the best possible news. But even if the news is not so good please know that attitude plays a huge part and doctor's aren't always right. I personally know two people who have been given limited time and they are both still here, years after the doctors thought they would be.

You will be great support for her, just wrap your arms around her and lend your strength. XO

LZ Blogger said...

Peter ~ My best wishes for Vicki's health! As for "B" Beer and Brisbane... I think only of "XXXX GOLD" ~ jb///

JunieRose2005 said...

Peter and Vicki,

...Wishing-hoping and praying things will go well for you

Vicki- I admired you before with what I had learned of you through this blog...I admire you more now with reading in your own words the strength you are showing during this trouble you are faced with.

Wishing the best and sending my prayers for you.


June

Jill said...

auuoooo! sorry. sending a virtual hug and good luck thoughts your way

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,

What a wonderful outpouring of love and prayers for our beautiful daughter. she has beaten the odds plenty of times in her life and this time she will do it too.

jacqui

Jan said...

What a wonderful tribute to you beautiful daughter. I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Gwen said...

Hi Peter.
I'm so sorry to hear about Viki,but
if she is anything like her Dad it
wont beat her.
Take care, my prayers and thoughts
are with you both.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Peter, sending love and prayers for your daughter and your whole family.
Your feelings were beautifully expressed. Thanks for sharing this and take care.

Karina said...

Oh Peter, I am so sorry to hear this. Your ABC's were beautiful and gut wrenching all in one and brought tears to my eyes. Please know that you, your daughter and her family will all be in my prayers. I can see from her comment that she is strong, positive and determined and will no doubt beat this thing down like a champ.

HUGS

Peter said...

My apologies to anyone who had to read or at least scroll past the now deleted babbling that filled so much space in this comment space.
In particular thank you for your perseverance Karina as I know you had to get past the spam to leave your comment.
I will have more to say about this intrusion at a later date.

Anonymous said...

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Be safe in your travels.

Anonymous said...

Oh Peter - what horrible news. I am sending all the positive healing thoughts I can. AND praying that it is benign.

IamwhoIam said...

awh Peter - Our thoughts and hopes go with you.

Jamie Dawn said...

I continue to pray for your beautiful, treasured, and much beloved daughter, and for you too.
I am so glad to hear that the tumor is thought to be benign. My prayer is that the surgery goes well and all the tumor is removed. I also pray that her recovery is swift and complete.
Your love and your presence by her side will be a great support to her and the rest of the family.
Thanks for sharing your feelings here so honestly. I agree with your sentiments. Questions without answers make life suck sometimes.
Take good care of your precious daughter.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Peter, that is such devastating news :( My thoughts are with you all.

Anonymous said...

I am back today to check on you and Vicki. Sending so many positive thoughts your way.

Merle said...

Hi Peter ~~ What wonderful friends we have in the blogging world. I liked your ABCs and was pleased by Vick's comment. She also left me a comment and I am so glad she is so positive.
After talking to you yesterday, I couldn't open e mails or anything as the Router wouldn't work. Finally today I unplugged it and put it in another power point.Thank goodness that worked as it was going to be Tuesday for a new one. All is well. Look after yourself and we will wait and see when and where etc. Much love, as alwaysm Merle.