"In the beginning"

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily the views of the blog management, (on the other hand, they are not necessarily not the views of the blog management).

No effort has been made to stay within the bounds of the truth in this blog as it has always been the view of the management that the truth should never be allowed to stand in the way of a good story.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Uluru (Ayers Rock)

***** Update for the previous post!!!!!

Uluru (Ayers Rock) rises abruptly out of the flat desert country that surrounds it.



Uluru is a giant sandstone rock formation which is recognized as the largest monolith in the world, it
is located near the geographical center of Australia in the Northern Territory.
The rock stands 342 meters, covers an area of 3.3 square Km and has a circumference of 9.4 Km
and rises majestically from the flat red desert sands that surround it, the monolith has been tilted
to 85 degrees by some giant upheaval in the past.
The rock was first sighted by a white man in 1873, surveyor William Gosse discovered it and named
it Ayers Rock after the then surveyor general, it is estimated that it has been known and respected
by the Pitjantjatjara people for 10,000 years.
Ayers Rock and the nearby Olgas was declared a National Park in 1958 having become a tourist
destination back in 1936 (this was the year of my birth and also the time that the first white woman
climbed to the top of Ayers Rock)
In 1985 the Australian Government returned ownership of the rock and the Olgas to the traditional
owners the Pitjantjatjara aborigines, they in turn leased it back to the National Parks & Wildlife
Service for a 99 year term to be run under joint management and given the joint name of
Uluru/Ayers Rock.
A new tourist resort was established 21 Km from the base of Uluru, this has been named Yalara and
has a population of 300, these people cater for the needs of tourists who stay at one of the 5 hotel/
motels and the large Campground.



The Olgas are a group of 36 domed rock formations which cover an area of 21.7 square Km, they
are located 25 Km from Uluru, the largest of these is Mt. Olga which stands 546 meters high, this
part of the National Park was also returned to the traditional owners and is now known as
Kata Tjuta.
Along with a few other changes since we first visited Ayers Rock in 1979, there is no longer the
freedom to camp virtually at the rock base, get permission to "bush camp" in the desert near the
Olgas, and now-a-days climbing of the rock while not prohibited is discouraged.
I had looked forward to visiting/climbing Ayers Rock since childhood and (although for a while
during the climb when I thought it might kill me) I would have been bitterly disappointed had I
not been to the top.

This tiny tent was home for our 5 day stop at Ayers Rock in 1979, we were less than 1 Km from the rock.

This photo shows "the climb" and the chain support which finishes about half way up, to discourage those who are not confident from continuing.

Looking down from about that halfway point shows how steep it is.

From the top wherever you look you can see the horizon clearly, I have photos that include the Olgas but couldn't locate them.

Hope you all enjoyed the look around Uluru, and especially Judy as it was she who requested it.
So don't forget if there is something you would like to know about Australia, just ask!

15 comments:

Puss-in-Boots said...

Terrific photos, Peter and a great description for those who live outside of Australia. I've never climbed the Rock and I don't think I ever will now, but I do want to go there...just to say I've been. That'll come in the next few years.

Jack K. said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing more of Australia's wonderful sights.

kenju said...

THANKS, Peter!! As a youngster, I decided that I would one day climb Uluru (and the Pyramids), but alas, due to my age now, it will probably never happen. Truth be known, I might climb it, but a helicopter would have to take me off the top! I don't think I could handle looking down!

Big Dave T said...

Trying to do the Yankee math here . . . 342 meters--so about 1,000 feet. If I took my family climbing there, I know there would be two questions. From my wife, is there a restroom at the top? And from my one son, is there a ride down?

Gattina said...

Wow ! How interesting and what a beautiful landscape, I would love to see that "life" !
I also have to show something but a completely other style the flower carpet in Brussels, if you want to see it. It's here

Walker said...

Those are some big rocks that I wouldn't want to find in my garden but look magnificant to visit in Australia.

Jeanette said...

Hi Peter Nice photo's Ularu makes your tent look so small.
Thats one place we never went to But then I would never have climbed it with my fear of heights..But im sure the climb would have been worth while just to see the surrounding landscape...

Miss Cellania said...

Only in Australia would they think it a good idea to put a tourist resort 21 miles from the actual attraction. Great post!

LZ Blogger said...

Peter ~ First I want to say how nice it is to see you back in Blogsville. Then I'll say that of all the things that we didn't see while we were down-under Aires Rock and the Great Barrier Reef are the two we missed seeing the MOST! ~ jb///
P.S. Glad you are back!

karisma said...

Wow! One of these days Im going to go there! Climbing up would not be a problem for me, but looking down might be! I may just have to stay up there forever! LOL!

Faye said...

Hi Peter! Nice to see you mug shot on Karisma's blog. Hope you're doing well.

Dave said...

Wow.... great write-up about a wonderful place!

Sounds a lot like our Stone Mountain in Georgia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain

Lots of great places to see and things to do down under bud! *S*

Merle said...

Hi Peter ~~ I had a bit of strife getting into your blog tonight.
Thanks for your comment about Geoff still looking after his old Mum.
Thanks for that!!! John does his bit also. He drive a bus to Maryborough
to play darts at the weekend. They
stayed in a caraban park in cabins.
Take care, Love, Merle.

Pamela said...

I guess I'll have to enjoy your guided tours, because I doubt I'll ever see that in person.

Keep up the wonderful work!

LZ Blogger said...

Peter ~ Ooops! I spelled AYERS incorrectly... so I thought I'd cange it to Uluru! ~ jb///