"In the beginning"

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily the views of the blog management, (on the other hand, they are not necessarily not the views of the blog management).

No effort has been made to stay within the bounds of the truth in this blog as it has always been the view of the management that the truth should never be allowed to stand in the way of a good story.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

What a day!!!

Parental Guidance is recommended before allowing children to view this image.

If this image looks a bit upsetting just imagine looking at it from the other side!!!

Having spent the better part of a day wondering why my face was all distorted and my hard won improved vision was now worse than ever.... Had I suffered a Stroke? while most of the data I had suggested No, I found it impossible to rule out the possibility!!!

A tense couple of hours in the Emergency Room at the Gympie Hospital though and my mind was put to rest... I had in fact had a Bells Palsey attack? if attack is the correct terminology, I remember my Dad having a Bells Palsey episode? when he was about my age, it seems this is one of the many joys that come to visit as we grow older.

For those who are not familiar with Bells Palsey (which included me up until today) It is a viral disease, same general family that afflicts us with facial Cold Sores, duration is usually between 2 and 6 weeks and I have 2 forms of medication that I hope will help.

The simple task of drinking is now something of a dribbling exercise and hot drinks are even worse, eating is also a risky business as you try to gnaw pieces from the inside of your mouth with teeth that suddenly have developed a mind of their own.

My new medications are tablets 10 (yes TEN) a day for 4 days and then 5 a day for 4 days, the other ones are 1 tablet 3 times per day so it looks like a rattlin' good time for me.

I must make mention of the help I had today, firstly from my very good friend Margaret Davidson, and then from the very attentive ER who had me in for assessment very quickly and then were most helpful as the examination revealed the far lesser evil of the 2 main choices, the senior Medical Officer who gave me the news and prescription for medication rang me at home some hours later most apologetic that he hadn't included Drops or ointment for my right eye (that's usually the good one!) which at the moment doesn't close completly, he made some suggestions for treatment particularly overnight when it will dry up because it isn't producing natural tears, I found the extra effort that he made was way beyond the call of duty and it was really appreciated.

No comments: