ETIQUETTE: not a complete list, feel free to add to the list!
Stringman has alerted me to the fact that some terms used
need translation overseas, note the italics for translations.
1. Never take an open stubby to a job interview. ( a small
bottle, usually of beer.)
2. Always identify people in your paddocks before shooting
at them. (Fields or open range sometimes.)
3. It's tacky to take an esky to church. (portable ice-box)
4. If you have to vacuum the bed, it's time to change the
5. Even if you're certain you're included in the will, it's rude
to take your ute and trailer to the funeral. (pickup truck
and U-Haul trailer, not a live in trailer which is a caravan!!)
1. When decanting wine from the box, tilt the paper cup
and pour slowly so as not to bruise the wine.
(Wine-cask, Chateau Cardboard)
2. If drinking directly from the bottle, hold it with only one
ENTERTAINING IN YOUR HOME
1. A centre piece for the table should never be anything
prepared by a taxidermist. (Hillbilly... Oops sorry)
2. Don't allow the dog to eat at the table, no matter how
good his manners.
1. While ears need to be cleaned regularly, this should
be done in private, using one's OWN ute keys.
2. Even if you live alone, deodorant isn't a waste of
3. Extensive use of deodorant can only delay bathing by
a few days.
4. Dirt and grease under the fingernails is a no-no, it
alters the taste of finger foods and if you are a woman it
can draw attention away from your jewelry.
1. Always offer to bait your date's hook - especially on
the first date.
2. Be assertive. Let her know you're interested: "I've been
wanting to go out with you ever since I read that stuff on
the dunny door two years ago."
(wc, bathroom, toilet, (often outdoors)
3. Establish with her parents what time she's expected
back. Some will say , others might say
"Monday." If the latter is the answer, it's the man's
responsibility to get her to school on time.
1. Crying babies should be taken to the lobby and picked up
after the movie ends.
2. Refrain from yelling abuse at characters on the screen.
Tests have proven they can't hear you.
1. Livestock is a poor choice for a wedding gift.
2. Kissing the bride for more than five seconds may cause a
drop in your popularity. (Excessive use of the tongue is also
considered out of place)
3. For the groom, at least, rent a tux. A tracksuit with a
cummerbund and a clean football jumper can create a
4. Though uncomfortable, say "yes" to socks and shoes for
1. Dim your headlights for approaching vehicles, even if your
gun's loaded and the roo's in your rifle sight.
( our national emblem, kangaroo)
2. When entering a roundabout, the vehicle with the largest
roo-bar doesn't always have the right of way.
(same as bull-bar)
3. Never tow another car using panty hose and duct tape.
4. When sending your wife down the road with a petrol can,
it's impolite to ask her to bring back beer too. (Gas can.)