"In the beginning"

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily the views of the blog management, (on the other hand, they are not necessarily not the views of the blog management).

No effort has been made to stay within the bounds of the truth in this blog as it has always been the view of the management that the truth should never be allowed to stand in the way of a good story.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Beta Blogger

Update;

No it's not bad news, I have been playing around with all the bells
and whistles that I like to put on my sites, you are warned by
Blogger that you will loose the extras that you may have saved,
things like counters, blog rolls, calendars, clocks, etc don't worry
there is a work-around for this.

If you intend to swap over, and my recommendation is to do it,
before you start the change over, open your template, scroll down
to near the bottom and locate "Sidebar begins" and save ( ctrl C )
everything between there and "Sidebar ends" to a Word doc, now
when you make the change to Beta Blogger you can reinstall your
extras through the new "customise" and "add a page element" and
finally "add HTML" copying the code material (one piece at a time)
from your saved Word doc and adding it to Blog, click Save,
(where-ever you see it) and your old coded blog roll or whatever will
be on your new sidebar.

There have been questions in many of our minds about the new
Beta Blogger;
I also had read a bit about it and was then invited
to guest post on a fellow
bloggers site so that I could have a
look around the new layout my thanks to
Kelvin who is a Kiwi
from across the ditch, as he puts it, in New Zealand.



The front page doesn't change very much, there is quicker access to
some
elements but it all looks pretty familiar, it's when you click on
customise and
add a page element that the differences come out,
you now have a series of
choices that you can make to set your blog
page up as you want to, largely this
is done in straight text form,
no longer do you need to battle with that
mysterious HTML code.


Some time ago I set up a blog, "Home At Duke Street" for the
purpose of
experimentation with new ideas that I want to try out
without the risk of
corruption of my other sites, this one I have gone
the full monty on while at
holtieshouse, peters pictures and poetry
galore, I have changed to the Beta
Blogger format but have yet to
implement all the changes on all sites.


Should anyone wish to visit Home At Duke Street it can be accessed
from my
profile and the listed blogs, I did mention that this was an
experimental site,
please note that no young ladies have been
injured in the Bouncers section!

My reaction to Beta Blogger has been very good so far, the only
problem I have
encountered is in setting up the sub-sections to my
blogroll, and with a little
more time and effort that may be doable.

The other aspect of Beta Blogger is that it seems Google, who own
Blogger,
intend to make Beta the only version of Blogger in time,
no one is saying how
much time, so it's good that it appears to be
a change for the better, on a
personal note I believe that their
concentration on Beta is a probable cause of
some of the problems
that have plagued us for months now,
I'm just sayin'



24 comments:

Merle said...

Hi Peter ~~ You have changed already
so we will see if it is better than
Blogger. Will watch with interest.
If Kelvin is right, we may all have to change eventually. Guess you saw that it was Jan's birthday yesterday
Take care, Merle.

Miss Cellania said...

I still maintain that Blogger would be more useful if they offered user support. I know, they act like they do, but I've waited months for a reply. Still waiting.

jules said...

Even with all it's problems, Blogger has been easy for a know-nothing about blogs person like me to use. Except when it's acting like a little spoiled brat.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Seems very interesting, Peter ... please keep us posted and let us know how it goes. I might have to give it a go myself !!
Take care, Meow

Vickie said...

It will be very interesting to see just where they take this one.

kenju said...

Do you have to pay for it, Peter?

kenju said...

Peter, I cannot find Home at Duke Street in your links. What am I doing wrong?

Karen said...

So I'm guessing this means I have to upgrade my old blog if I want to keep it? As long as it is an improvement over the current, it works for me.

Have a great day!

kenju said...

Peter, I tried to leave a comment under the photos (at Duke Street) and the Blogger window told me I'd have to enable cookies and java script - both of which I already have. Go figure!

Raggedy said...

I am a know nothing, non techy type myself. I am still learning things about blogger...*sigh
^5 on being a techy and tester for us!

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Kelvin said...

Kia Ora Peter, from across the ditch.Just finishing doing my "last 2 posts" on Krazy Kelvin's Thoughts & Feelings One of the posts is about the "boobs" down Queen St parade, midday 23rd.

Bloggers - if a krazy monkey who is minus one, when it comes to computers can manage not 1, not 2, not 3 blogs, but more than 16 blogs, I am sure you all won't have any trouble. 15 months I have been blogging.

Peter - the password is still valid for my beta-blogs. Feel free to pass it on to blogger friends you know so they can see what they are in for. I suggest one at a time, then when they are done, leave a comment on your blog, so you can pass it on to another blogger. I don't mind if they add things to the blog.

It was great to talk to you - the first blogger I have ever spoken to !!! I may be krazy (just a little teeny weeny bit - aren't we all - but I treasure my friends !!!

Kelvin said...

Me - again !!! It seems the link to a krazy monkey doesn't work, but this one will If It doesn't I'll eat my hat......my chocolate hat !!!

I also mentioned your blog Peter in the post.

Kelvin said...

Peter - delete the second comment as the link still won't work. I have learnt a couple of things, which are interesting with the comments.

PS: I have eaten my "dark chocolate hat !!! I still have a white chocolate one left !!! (hehe)

Jack K. said...

Thanks for the technical posting.

I just may get a little brave and add the calendar and perhaps the counter. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I guess it's working - site looks good. I don't use blogger. I hope my provider doesn't change drastically - i dont have the energy to deal with a redo.

Blog on !

Anonymous said...

Oops - anonymous is me - lucy

kenju said...

Thanks for the extra tip!

Jim said...

I didn't know there was a Beta Blogger either. Did you get to save ALL your old stuff?
..
I do that sidebar copy and all when I change templates. I also save first when I experiment.
..

Merle said...

Hi Peter ~~ Well there is some inerest there, mainly from you and Kelvin. Like Jim, I would like to know if you keep all your old stuff.
I agree about the butcher dance - it took a long time to get there, John
sent it to me. When do Vic and Rex arrive? Bye for now, Cheers, Merle.

DellaB said...

Hi Peter, just dropped in to say thanks for being the 'vanguard' - I am sure we will all benefit from your hard work.

thanks again,
Della

Big Dave T said...

I'm confused. I've heard of Beta Blockers, but I thought those were a kind of drug used to treat high blood pressure. So maybe if your beta blogger starts screwing things up, you might need beta blockers to control your hypertension.

It's all a beta racket if you ask me.

Cliff said...

Man, I'd be afraid of losing everything Peter. I'll be watching to see how you do.

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh,my goodness!! I can't think of anything new right now!!

JunieRose

Jamie Dawn said...

You are brave! I am not very adventurous when it comes to computer skills. I've found what works for me and I don't forge ahead bravely like you do.
I wish there was a pill that would increase my computer knowledge.