"In the beginning"

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily the views of the blog management, (on the other hand, they are not necessarily not the views of the blog management).

No effort has been made to stay within the bounds of the truth in this blog as it has always been the view of the management that the truth should never be allowed to stand in the way of a good story.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

In the Good old Summer time

I had to re-write my profile... this was due to some messing around with template
recently,
don't ask!! I like to keep profanity to a minimum here at holtieshouse.
The re-write, (and a lovely cool Christmas Day yesterday) started me thinking about my
taste in weather and the fact that I choose to live in Queensland, which has a semi tropical
climate when I don't like hot weather much at all, (the "much" in that is superfluous BTW).
Mind you I am not enamored of cold weather either, (some would say "just bloody picky")
and who is to say they are wrong? not me!! this brought to mind a post that I ran a long
time ago about the climate in our capital city, Brisbane, this is applicable to the whole State!!


Brisbane’s Climate.

August 31st

Just got transferred by my work into our new home in Brisbane! Now this is a city that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! I watched the sunset from a deck-chair on the verandah. It was beautiful. I’ve finally found my home. I love it here.

September 13th

Really heating up. Got to 30 today. Not a problem, live in an air-conditioned house, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I’m turning into a sun worshipper.

September 30th

Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today, lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain, no more mowing lawns for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

October 10th

The temperature hasn’t been below 30 all week. At least today it’s kinda windy though. But getting used to heat is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th

Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body, missed 3 days of work, what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though, got to respect the ol’ sun in a climate like this.

October 20th

I missed kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the genuine leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like Wiskettes and cat shit. I learned my lesson though, no more pets in this heat.

October 25th

The wind sucks. It feels like a giant bloody blow dryer, and it’s hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged me $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30th

Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now, Bloody $450,000 house and we can’t even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

November 4th

Its 35 degrees! Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today, it cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 25 degrees, but this bloody humidity makes the house feel like it’s about 30 degrees. Stupid repairman. I hate this stupid place

November 8th

If another wise arse cracks, “Hot enough for you today?” I’m going to strangle him. Bloody heat! By the time I got to work the cars radiator was boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet and I smell like baked cat!

November 9th

Tried to run some messages after work. Wore shorts, sat on the black leather upholstery in the car. I thought my arse was on fire, I lost 2 layers of skin and all the hair from the back of my legs. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried arse and baked cat.

November 10th

The weather report might as well be a bloody recording. Hot and sunny, Hot and sunny, Hot and sunny. It’s been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn’t it ever rain in this damn place? Water restrictions will be next, so my $2,000 worth of palms just might dry up and blow into the bloody pool. Even the palms can’t live in this heat.

November 14th

Welcome to HELL. Temperature got to 38 degrees today. Now the air-conditioner’s gone in my car. The repairman came to fix and said, “Hot enough for you today?” My wife had to spend the $2,500 house payment to bail my arse out of jail for assaulting the repairman. Bloody Brisbane. What kind of sick demented idiot would want to live here?

December 1st

WHAT?? Just heard on the TV that this is the first day of SUMMER! They have to be kidding!!

For a contrasting view check out this link

6 comments:

kenju said...

I really like hot weather, Peter, so your climate would suit me just fine~! Hope you had a good Christmas!

Dave said...

*LOL*
Just like the time I went to Las Vegas, and it was 117F, and some jack*ss said "Oh, but it's a dry heat".
Cost me $350 to get bailed out of jail.. *chuckling* (not really)

Anonymous said...

"LOL" that really was funny.

I came to Bridgetown to live because it was a cool place (the kids call it Fridgetown), but it was 44c here when we got home from Perth where it was only 42c, and the AC in the car didn't work, I reckon it got to about 50c in it.

Country WA yesterday was the hottest place on earth, according to the weather man!!!

Anyway it's cooler this morning and supposed to stay that way gfor a few days.

karisma said...

I have heard that the weather in QLD was hot but bearable as the humidity was not so bad.

Now down here, the past week has been stinking hot and horribly humid as well. Every day except for Xmas day when it obligingly rained and was quite cold.

One thing I really love about living on the coast is the afternoon breeze. It never fails, no matter how hot it is. I am not a great lover of the old air conditioner, it only gets used if the kids start flopping from the heat and then as soon as that breeze hits, its off again and the windows are open.

LOL your contrasting view was rather funny.

Jamie Dawn said...

I much prefer hot weather.
Cold weather is hitonious!
I guess if it's hot enough to kill and bloat a cat into a stinking hitonious mess, then it's MIGHTY hot there!!
Have a cool glass of sweet iced tea.
Ahhhhhh, the drink of the south!!

Happy New Year, Peter. I hope 2008 is healthy and happy for you!!

Pamela said...

72-75 Fahrenheit
is my comfort zone.

does it melt the fat off your butt? just wondering. I wouldn't mind that part of it.